Along with job skills and academic education, independent living is a major component of Roosevelt Warm Springs Vocational Rehabilitation.
Beginning with Counseling and Case Management, Roosevelt Warm Springs is committed to improving the quality of life for individuals with disabilities by assisting them with personal independence as well as their vocational goals.
- Upon admission, clients are provided with a comprehensive weeklong orientation, as well as assessment of their daily living skills.
- Classes provide instruction in such things as grooming and hygiene, laundry care, advocacy, money management, communications, drug awareness, and budgeting.
- Through Health Management, clients are provided education in managing their individual healthcare needs. Education may include medications, diagnosis, nutrition, daily hygiene, and sexual issues such as birth control, peer pressure, and making good decisions.
- Adaptive life skills are taught through Behavioral Management.
- Recreational independence is addressed through the programs and facilities of the Ruzycki Center for Therapeutic Recreation. This complex gives individuals with disabilities opportunities to achieve independence and even athletic excellence that might not otherwise be available.
- Residential independence will continue to be nurtured with the opening of a vocational residential complex. The new, 70,000-square foot structure boasts state-of-the-art housing both in dorm and apartment-style settings.
- Other programs designed for greater independent living opportunities include Driver Rehabilitation, the Brain Injury Day Program and Transitional Living. The first of these offers evaluation and instructional expertise for clients with the capabilities to become licensed drivers. The second offers a variety of services for clients with brain injuries in need of functional improvement in home, work or community settings. And the third is designed to prepare clients to live independently in their home communities by providing monitored, apartment-style options that should develop transferrable skills upon departure.